Technical scale pilot-plant designed for a variety of practical applications
The technical scale pilot-plant at the Fraunhofer Institute for Process Engineering and Packaging IVV represents the important intermediate stage between laboratory-scale studies and production. Prior to the production phase, this lacquering and laminating plant gives customers the opportunity to combine materials, to trial out application processes, to define process parameters and to prepare samples for application tests. A special film feed system prevents contact between the functional film and the rolls after the coating process. This also makes the plant suitable for processing very sensitive films and highbarrier films that are coated with thin layers on one side.
Potential applications range from packaging materials right through to ultra-high barriers for the display market. Compared to trials carried out in actual production plants, our plant allows the parameters of application and drying processes to be varied at considerably lower cost.
- We develop and test lacquering and laminating processes for customers.
- In order to supply test samples and carry out application trials, we can lacquer and laminate flexible polymer films, aluminum foil, paper and fabric materials.
- We can combine the process with vacuum coating methods (Al, AlOx, SiOx, etc.).
- Regarding application and drying processes, we can adapt the configuration of the pilot-plant to your needs.
- Shortened times for scale up to production.
- Your production plants do not have to be taken out of operation for plant trials.
- Experiments can be carried out using much lower quantities of materials than required for trials in production plants.
- You receive machinable quantities of materials for application trials.
- You benefit from our expertise and many years of experience in the development and analysis of film surfaces. You also benefit from our comprehensive analytical facilities.
- Lower development costs.
- Solvent-based coating systems: low viscosity lacquers, adhesives, high viscosity biopolymers (e.g. starches), proteinbased systems (e.g. casein) and modified biopolymers.
- UV-curing systems such as acrylatebased formulations and special inorganic-organic hybrid polymers.
Aluminum foils, polymer films, vacuum coated films, biodegradable polymers, paper and cardboard.
- Substrate geometry:
- Web width: up to 480 mm
- Application width: up to 460 mm
- Application methods:
- Commaknife for highly viscous coating materials; gravure roll for low viscosity coating systems; heating of the smooth roll up to 80°C
- Laminating unit:
- 350 N/cm per 500 mm web width; heating up to 80°C
- Corona unit:
- Single-sided corona treatment of non-conducting films; corona power adjustable from 0.15 to 1.5 kW
- Web control:
- Web speed: max. 30 m/min
- Special film feed for lacquering:
- The functional layer can be transported without coming into contact with the rolls after the coating process; separate servo-controlled winding
- Drying and crosslinking via hot air and UV
- Dust-free coating by incorporating the plant in a housing and by film cleaning